Your Ad Here

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Wisdom Teeth Extraction

I just got my braces put on today. Hurray? However, I want to tell you about my wisdom teeth extraction experience first.

After my consultations with the 4 different orthodontists, I went back to my dentist and asked for a second opinion. She agreed and suggested I take them all out to avoid any problems in the future as it might ruin my orthodontic treatment at a later time.

This time around I didn’t shop for an oral surgeon. I went to have a consultation with the recommended oral surgeon by my dentist and it cost me $125 (that’s probably why I didn’t shop around). Three weeks later, I had all 4 of them removed. You can see from the panoramic x-ray that all 4 were impacted – bummer!


The day of the surgery, I did as instructed and didn’t eat or drink six hours prior to the operation. I was sedated and 1 hour later I woke up with a nice buzz. I was also gauzed up. The overall experience wasn’t too bad. I didn’t have much pain (but was really swollen in a funny way) the following days and did as instructed. A week later, I got a little pump to pump out food from my holes where the extractions were made. I started getting lazy thinking I was recovering fast and by the 2nd week I got an infection :(.

It has been 4.5 weeks since my extraction and I am still recovering on one molar extraction. I can still see a hole and I think I got another small infection but salt water is doing its trick and it is healing once again. The rest of the extractions have healed well but I use the pump and pump out and food residue just in case.

So remember – keep those holes clean!

1 comment:

  1. So how are your teeth now? I hope you have good oral health and you didn't encounter other dental problems. Was your recovery fast?

    Ed Hochhalter

    ReplyDelete