Your Ad Here

Monday, August 17, 2009

Choosing an Orthodontist

I finally decided to get braces put on after my cleaning with my dentist. She pointed out some thinning of my front tooth and brought up the recent crack I had on a premolar. I figured I should get it done soon while I was still relatively young (mid 20s). At the same time I was feeling some minor pain on one of my molars while biting down (another sign of a cracked tooth). So that was it, I was getting braces.

That is when my search for an orthodontists started. I started calling and setting up appointments with several orthodontists and used online rating sites to help. Here they are:

Ortho #1: At my current dental clinic
- Out of pocket expense: $5100
- Type of braces: clear traditional, regular traditional
- Treatment time: 18 months to 24 months
- This ortho told me that I do not have to take out my wisdom teeth. He also said I cannot use Invisalign because my teeth are too severe for that type of treatment.

Ortho #2: My friends current ortho
- Out of pocket expense: $4610 (clear regular) or $4985 Invisalign - this included a limited time $1000 off promotion
- Type of braces: clear traditional, Invisalign
- Treatment time: 18 months to 24 months
- The price provided is with a $1000 discount if I get it done by tomorrow. They said the promotion ended the next day but I didn't really beleive them. I also didnt like the orthodontist because he tried to "bond" with me talking about my country and I dont think he was professional. I told the assistant I wanted to use invisalign and then later when the doctor came to see me he directly said.. "I hear you are interested in Invisalign. You can do it but you have to be a good boy and wear it all the time". I was like, you are not even giving me the options? So I asked about the regular ones then he said I could use them too. Then he said invisalign will fix the teeth 90%, but regular will fix it 100%.

Ortho #3: Found good reviews online
- Out of pocket expense: $5687
- Type of braces: damon braces 3 and 3 MX
- Treatment time: 20 months to 24 months
- All wisdom teeth need to be removed

Ortho #4: Found another good review online
- Out of pocket expense: $6000
- Type of braces: damon braces 3 and 3 MX
- Treatment time: 20 months to 24 months
- All wisdom teeth need to be removed

After 4 consultations and 1.5 months of thinking I went for orthodontist number 3. It was a tossup between Number 3 and Number 4 as they were both really good in terms of the orthodontists education, the number of years in service, treatment towards customers (not pushy and not like a salesperson).

When choosing your orthodontist I would suggest looking at where they graduated from, trying to see if are they money oriented or they really care about you, listen to what they have to say compared to other orthodontists, and see what others have to say.

Good luck choosing your orthodontist! I hope I made the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment