Your Ad Here

Sunday, February 21, 2010

What can you eat with braces?

When I first got my braces on I was giving a short consultation before I was let go. During this consultation the assistant gave me a pamphlet which all the things I should avoid eating. I wish I took a picture of it before throwing it out, but it had pictures of all these items.

In general you should avoid eating:
1. Hard foods
2. Sticky foods
3. Sweets

Some examples are nuts, hard pizza crust, corn on the cob, ribs, Doritos, popcorn, ice, raw carrots, gum, beef jerky, hard candy,  and etc. 


The idea behind avoiding these types of foods is to avoid having your braces knocked out and things stuck in between your teeth or brackets which could cause some problems with the movement of the teeth.

What do I eat now with braces on?
I actually don't really follow these rules. The only main difference in my diet is actually eating less sweets. I also don't bite into hard foods like apples.

However, I still eat nuts, ribs, Doritos gum, and etc. So yes, you can still eat real food with braces. However, you must be careful when eating hard food. The main point is that you do not want to knock one of your braces off. If you must eat hard foods, try to chew them with your molars and not with your front teeth.

Whatever you eat, just be careful and you will be fine.

5 comments:

  1. Hey,

    Some nice advice there about what you can and can’t eat. As we all know there are many rules set out by your dentist when you have braces, but I suppose it’s all for the good of the treatment. Looking over your past posts I can see your teeth have come along nicely, and I think you made a good choice with Damon Braces. By the by the gap at your front tooth isn’t all that noticeable so don’t worry.

    I thought a link to the http://www.cosmeticdentistryguide.co.uk/ may be of assistance to you and your followers, if possible on your sidebar; the site has helpful info about Damon Braces and other cosmetic treatments if you are interested.

    The Cosmetic Dentistry Guide is the leading provider of cosmetic dental information online in the UK and the most visited in the world, and includes a forum and an expert answers section, so feel free to ask any questions.

    Damon Braces - http://www.cosmeticdentistryguide.co.uk/damon-braces.html
    Teeth Whitening - http://www.cosmeticdentistryguide.co.uk/teethwhitening.html

    Our homepage is: http://www.cosmeticdentistryguide.co.uk/

    I hope the treatment is going well and you find the info useful.


    Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I found this site. I get my braces put on next week and I'm anxious/nervous. Or at least, I THINK that's what the next 1 hour and 30 minute ortho session is about. I've already done my records and they have a mold of my mouth. I would expect it's that time to get those suckers in. I have a gap, overbite, front teeth that move forward 3mm, a tooth in the lower back jaw that will need some wires because it grew in at a time when there was barely any gum space so it's curved inward.
    I have the option of taking some teeth out during the treatment, but it's not crucial I'm told. All it will do is remove the tension from around my lips when I close them. I'm nervous about the healing process of wisdom tooth extraction though. And with braces, my goodness, I love to eat, so I'm gonna have to be major careful. Maybe I'll write a blog too about my experiences with damon. It would be exciting and helpful to other damonites. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey warrior_4_ywh. Hope your braces are going ok. It took forever for my gums to recover from my wisdom teeth extraction even after a month and a half I could still see small holes :S. Just remember to keep it clean. As for your braces, you will be just fine. You just need to be conscious that these things are glued on and you need to avoid hard objects hitting against them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wearing a dental brace needs a great amount of discipline and patience. But, the long journey of wearing a dental brace will eventually make your teeth better looking than ever. It makes me remember when I was a teen, I have resented on having a brace due to its invasive nature and the list of don'ts to eat. But my mom still persuaded me to wear one and after a year of wearing it, thanks to my dentists (Murrells Inlet, SC clinic), my teeth looks great and I can return to eating delicious meals, but of course in moderation.

    ReplyDelete