Your Ad Here

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Week 127 with the Damon Braces

Summary: Impressions done today

I had my ortho appointment this morning which went well overall. When I got in and was seated, the assistant asked how I was doing and how I felt about my teeth. My answer was naturally good but I also mentioned I was a little unhappy about my front left tooth which seems to be a little too far out.

She took my comment and when the orthodontist came by she said, I think it is going to be detailing. I didn't quite like the sound of that as detailing means more tweaking and more tweaking means adjustments to the wire which means another 3-4 weeks!!!! So the ortho came and we talked about my concern. He agreed but he said that he can move it but he didn't know where to move it as he couldn't move it back because it would touch my lower teeth. I actually liked his honest response.

The other thing he pointed out was that if it actually looked off or if it felt off. The reality is that it was both but it was really up to me. He said he can polish it off a little and hopefully that would help. Overall, I think it is great and we have come a long way AND I didn't want to wait another month before getting my braces off. I know it sounds bad and hopefully I won't regret my decesion but after hearing the ortho say that it would be tough to make it perfect because the way the teeth have worn out already, I decided it was the best decision at the moment.

Once that was decided my wires were taken off and my impressions were taken. This time around it was a white goo that was used instead of pink. There was no taste to it (as it didn't touch my tongue) but there were some bits and pieces left in my mouth so be sure to brush your teeth after your impressions.

The surprising aspect is that my brackets were left in place for the impressions. I guess as long as the general contour of the teeth is recorded, that is enough to make the retainers.

I was also given the option to either have a bonded wire on my lower teeth or have removable retainers. I did some previous research on this and decided I wanted removable retainers. I didn't want to bother with having difficulty flossing or worry about the bonding. And, I think eventually, I can stop using my retainers. The color I chose was the regular plain pink which is supposed to blend with your gums - yes, it is boring but I am no longer a teenager for any crazy colors or glitter.

Next will my braces are coming off! I am very excited. Officially done with braces after 128 weeks (almost 2.5 years).

2 comments:

  1. I'm still a few months from getting my braces off, but I always thought I would get the bonded lower wire. What made you chose the removable retainers? What did the research say, and where did you find that information?
    Congrats on getting your braces off soon! This blog has been so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I searched online but it really turns out to be a personal choice. There are advantages and disadvantages to both; mainly, with bonded retainers you have to spend a little more time cleaning. After having braces for 2.5 years, I feel like that is something I don't want to bother with. However, with removable retainers, you have to be really good about wearing the retainers at all times. I didn't find any articles mentioning if there was that much more plaque caused by bonded retainers but I think that is based on how well you clean between them. Another good selling point for removable retainers is that eventually, you wont have to wear the retainers 24/7 and being able to have nothing in your mouth during the day was very attractive for me. Talk to your orthodontist and see what he/she says.

    ReplyDelete